- The Providence College women's tennis team earned it's first dual match win of the fall season, downing Holy Cross by a score of 7-0 on Saturday morning at the PC Tennis Courts.
- The Friars came out of the gate strong in doubles play, claiming all three matches thanks to Risa Takenaka
(6-2), Aiden Epstein/Haley Gurski
(6-3), and Sera Satkowski
"Overall, a great performance from all players as the first dual match is always a little tricky with nerves," head coach Jakob Klaeson
said. I am proud of the girls fighting so hard to come back in all the third set matches, even if the match had already been clinched."
- Takenaka and Epstein came out fast and strong, winning their matches in straight sets in singles #1 and #4 to push the team score to 3-0.
- Half way through the match, Holy Cross had won sets on singles #3, #5 and #6.
- Jacobs' first set on court number two was key to the win, as courts three, five and six split sets. Jacobs was able to put the match away with her 7-6, 7-5 win for the first singles win of her career.
- The match was out of reach for Holy Cross as freshman Haley Gurski
won her first match as a Friar 10-4 in the third set match tiebreaker. Freshman Mimi Dailey
won her first match as a Friar, 6-4, in the third set, while sophomore Sera Satkowski
finished the match of 6-2 in her third set to make the final score 7-0.
Doubles #1 - Takenaka/Jacobs (PC) def. Reiling/McGuire (HC), 6-2
Doubles #2 - Gorski/Epstein (PC) def. Papa/DeNucci (HC), 6-3
Doubles #3 - Dailey/Satkowski (PC) def. Kary/Kam (HC), 6-0
Singles #1 - Takenaka (PC) def. Reiling (HC), 6-1, 6-1
Singles #2 - Jacobs (PC) def. Papa (HC), 7-6, 7-5
Singles #3 - Gurski (PC) def. DeNucci (HC), 5-7, 7-5, 10-4
Singles #4 - Epstein (PC) def. McGuire (HC), 6-3, 6-1
Singles #5 - Satkowski (PC) def. Kary (HC), 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
Singles #6 - Dailey (PC) def. Kam (HC), 0-6, 7-5, 6-4
The Friars return to action on Wednesday, October 3 against Fairfield at 3 p.m.